A Walkathon to Remember

Nardin just celebrated its first Walkathon of this new and wildly different year, but some patterns never change.

Maddy Higgins ('19) and Julia Scott ('19) show their senior spirit the morning of the walk.

Caroline Wischerath '19

Caroline Wischerath '19

A. Graber '19, Writer

What does creation of a new pep club cheer, a leisurely five mile walk, La Nova pizza and a dismissal bell before noon all have in common with each other? They’re all distinct characteristics of Nardin’s Walkathon Day, half of a regular school day devoted to bonding and creating Nardin memories that will be laughed at for years to come, all while raising money for our school.

This year, on September 28th, a sea of grey walkathon t-shirts exited the Auburn doors and embarked on their march through the scenic streets of Elmwood Village.  While a five mile distance might seem like a large feat to some, it surely flies by as you are too busy chatting and singing to even notice where you are according to your map.

Mile one starts as soon as you step outside to smell the crisp fall air, and zipper your jacket after facing the brisk breeze. At this point, most students are walking with their close friends to discuss their plans for the long weekend amongst taking snapchat videos.  You’re laughing about what someone said in the group chat late last night, of course because no one had homework or studying to cram in. Before you know it, you’ve reached the first checkpoint table and you’re off onto mile two.

Because of the city traffic, you became separated from the group you originally were walking with at an intersection and have found yourself walking next to girls in your grade who you might not know as well, or have any classes with anymore.  You use this as an opportunity to catch up or maybe even make a new friend. You might discuss the new schedule Nardin implemented this year, what winter mission option they selected or if you’re a senior, have a stress-free conversation about what colleges you are looking at.

By this point, you are a quarter of the way into mile three and notice that some of your teachers are not too far in front of you. A red light helps you catch up to them, and you’re excited to have a conversation with them that isn’t about Nardin essay format or the Byzantine Empire.  

Suddenly, you can hear the humming of a song you haven’t listened to in years but somehow remember all of the words to.  You pick up the pace, and the humming slowly becomes louder. You realize the noise is coming from a speaker carried by your classmate, and you jump into the singing as you make a left on West Ferry Street.  Asking to connect to the speaker and suggesting songs off of your current playlist has kept you so busy that you look down at the map in your hand and are surprised to find out that you’ve already completed the fourth mile.

Excited, you encourage your friends to run a bit with you because pizza, ice cream, and the long weekend are only a mile away.  

About the Writer
A. Graber '19, Writer

Abby joins the staff this year to pursue her interest in journalism. She runs both track and cross country, and she enjoys traveling and spending time...

• A Walkathon to Remember

Nardin News

Science Daze!

• A Walkathon to Remember

Gator Spotlight

Nardin Through the Decades – 1990’s!

• A Walkathon to Remember

Gator Spotlight

Nardin Through the Decades – 1980’s!

• A Walkathon to Remember

Gator Spotlight

Nardin Through the Decades – 1970’s!

• A Walkathon to Remember

Gator Spotlight

Nardin Through the Decades

• A Walkathon to Remember

Nardin News

Austen-tatious Day!

• A Walkathon to Remember

Nardin News

Nardin’s Hackathon!

• A Walkathon to Remember

Nardin News

Fall Sports 2017

• A Walkathon to Remember

Nardin News

Nardin’s New Homework Policy

• A Walkathon to Remember

Confetti

#WhyIWrite

A Walkathon to Remember