Sophomore Retreat to Repeat

As the Nardin tradition persists, Nardin sophomores gathered together on Thursday, February 9th, to enjoy their long anticipated retreat.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Retreat to Repeat

Caitlin Snyder

Caitlin Snyder

Caitlin Snyder

M. Ende '19

As Mr. Zanghi likes to remind our class, the term “sophomore” is derived from the Greek words “sophos” and “moros,” which mean “wise” and “foolish,” respectively. However, despite its hilarity, the word “sophomore” does not accurately describe Nardin’s class of 2019 at all.

Beginning in the orchestra room, the event featured plenty of life lessons from our iconic teacher, Mr. Coakley. With volunteers from our grade, we conducted a brief performance about the treatment of those in poverty. Even though it regarded a tough situation, we all giggled a bit in reaction to the wonderful acting of our classmates.

Next, the buses arrived to take us to the Nardin Athletic Center. Upon our arrival, we formed quite possibly the largest circle possible on the soccer field and Mr. Coakley stood at a podium in the center and continued with his lecture. He informed us of our following acitivity: we had to quickly organize a short performance about an assigned Coroporal or Spiritual Work of Mercy with a completely randomized group. It was a chance for some class comedians and theater talents to shine, and girl, they shone brightly.

Then it was time to combine the groups into slightly larger groups and rotate between teachers who had arranged activities. Ms. Podd, Mrs. Hutton, and Mrs. Malinowski led activities, just to name a few. We learned to listen, we played rather impromptu charades, we meditated…

…and we tie-dyed socks that we would donate to people who need them more than we do! Utilizing the brand new spacious seating area near the squash courts, we put on latex gloves and splashed dye all over originally ordinary, white socks. It was a time for creativity and fun with our classmates that allowed us to bond, but we also knew about its benefits toward a greater cause.

Luckily, it was finally time for plentiful pizza, Chips Ahoy! cookies, bottled water, and socializing. What a Retreat Day blessing.

Upon our return to Nardin’s orchestra room, the three seniors—Abby Adams, Camryn Backman, and Caroline Fredericks—who helped us tremendously during our retreat spoke to us about our predictable worries, particularly junior year stress. They also answered some questions from Mrs. Malinowski regarding religion, relationships, and service trips, like the one to Nicaragua. Students do not often get an opportunity to ask the upperclasswomen about these experiences, so it truly was a privilege for us.

Altogether, experiencing these activities with a community like your high school class is special. We are not “sophomoric” in the literal sense introduced to us by Mr. Zanghi, but rather a community composed of close relationships and trust. The thought that it is only two years until our graduation is an emotional and stirring one; it will be here before we even realize, but as a class, we will be ready for our future.

About the Writer
M. Ende '19, Editor

A senior, Maura Ende's passion is to learn a little about everything. In her free time she watches Parks and Recreation obsessively and occasionally fosters...

• Sophomore Retreat to Repeat

Nardin News

nEXt Block Offers Opportunities That Fit in Your Clock

• Sophomore Retreat to Repeat

Nardin News

The Emotional Roller Coaster of Freshman Year

• Sophomore Retreat to Repeat

Confetti

How Nardin Girls Really Feel About Lunch

• Sophomore Retreat to Repeat

Nardin News

A Walkathon to Remember

• Sophomore Retreat to Repeat

Nardin News

Science Daze!

• Sophomore Retreat to Repeat

Gator Spotlight

Nardin Through the Decades – 1990’s!

• Sophomore Retreat to Repeat

Gator Spotlight

Nardin Through the Decades – 1980’s!

• Sophomore Retreat to Repeat

Gator Spotlight

Nardin Through the Decades – 1970’s!

• Sophomore Retreat to Repeat

Gator Spotlight

Nardin Through the Decades

• Sophomore Retreat to Repeat

Nardin News

Austen-tatious Day!

Sophomore Retreat to Repeat