Midterm Mania

Since it is important for students to be aware of what is happening outside of school, Elizabeth Mahoney ('21) recaps the results of the November 2018 midterm elections.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Midterm Mania

To put it in perspective, many current Nardin students will be able to vote in the 2020 presidential election.

E. Mahoney '21, Writer

The Background

This year’s election results have been highly anticipated due to the outcome of the presidential election in 2016 which left Democrats distraught and Republicans triumphant.

The ramifications of certain elections has put a cloud on America’s reputation, and has resulted in a loss of respect from other countries. Nonetheless, citizens of the United States are making a change in government by voting in the 2018 midterm elections.

Democrats and Republicans have been feuding for the past two years due to Trump’s presidential win, which has subsequently resulted in a divided nation.

If we don’t vote, then this democracy doesn’t work.”

— Barack Obama

The Democrats have gained momentum due to the favor of celebrities, such as Beyoncé, who voiced her opinion on her social media pages. Opposedly, the Republicans have had a decline of partisans due to the decrease of positive coverage of their controlled Congress.

What Happened

Consequently, Democrats won control over the House, an important triumph for the party that had no authority in the past two years due to the Trump administration and Republicans controlling Congress.

This left Republicans in foreseeable defeat due to the damaged stature of the conservative party, yet they still managed to gain control of the Senate.

President Donald Trump posted this tweet around 3:30 A.M., as midterm results were finalized.

The results of the presidential election highly imposed motivated emotions upon the young generation of voters to voice their stance on the ballot. In fact, more than 800,000 people registered to vote this year due to the amount of influence on social media.

The midterms allowed a somewhat stable bridge of unity in the nation, re-establishing checks and balances and breaking the gap of rightist conformity. Enabling opinions to be spoken about provides a liberated base for the United States and its citizens.

• Midterm Mania

Did You Know?

Weekly update – January 19

• Midterm Mania

Confetti

The Great Equalizer

• Midterm Mania

Did You Know?

A Nardin Alumna and the Vice President Had Beef

• Midterm Mania

Confetti

How Nardin Girls Really Feel About Lunch

• Midterm Mania

Confetti

Supreme Court Nominee Faces Backlash After Accusations

• Midterm Mania

Confetti

The Last Male Northern White Rhino

• Midterm Mania

Did You Know?

Students Speak about the National Walkout

• Midterm Mania

Did You Know?

The Tesla that Got Launched Into Space

• Midterm Mania

Did You Know?

The Super Blue Blood Moon!

• Midterm Mania

Did You Know?

Net Neutrality Had a Tough 2017…

Midterm Mania